Saturday, August 15, 2009

Module 4 –Downloading tools / plug-ins Task

What to do

Below are a list of suggested programs that may be of use in assignment 1: Try downloading at least two unfamiliar programs (if you do not already have them: for those who have most or all, offer alternatives, or make sure you have the most up-to-date copy). Find out what the programs offer and spend a bit of time familiarising yourself with their operation (do not spend too much time on this, as some of these programs will be utilised in later tasks).

LOG ENTRY:

In your learning log record which programs you downloaded and note which (if any) facets you think might prove useful. (Allen et al. n.d.)

Media Players - Real Player 11

I am a Mac user so Quicktime player will be my first choice for playing all the video files, I do install Windows Media Player too because some of the video files need to be open from Windows Media Player and both of them are the most common video players. I have to say that I have never use Real Player before but I do see some of my friend has it and I don’t see any different so I did not install on my computer.

Real Player 11 is the latest version therefore I choose to install it and try for this task. The design of Real Player 11 seems like not much different with Quicktime Player and the interface look nicer than Windows Media Player. I guess Real Player doesn’t like my laptop or my laptop is too old for latest version of Real Player. When I play the video file it will pause for few second, and I get to listen the sound first but not the video. So I thought my computer is running out of memory therefore I restart my laptop and try it again.

After restart my laptop the first thing I open Real Player again and player the same video file and it happen again. I think this could be the file problem so I try the other video file. This time it run better then previous file but it still the same it pause and I get to listen the sound before I can see the video.


I know my laptop is bit old but it doesn’t really happen for the Quicktime and Window Media Player. Actually I think Real Player is quite user friendly to me, and it also play many types of files like mpeg, avi etc, but it just not working for my laptop and luckily I didn’t set it as default player. Therefore I don’t really know what actual happen for the Real Player in my laptop, maybe is time for me to get the new laptop and maybe it will run smoother I guess.


Search Manager/Combiners - Sherlock

I guess most of the Mac user will use it at least once since it is so popular last time. It is a big hit when it just started I guess it was so advance on that time and now there are many competitors out there and Apple focus on more making money then this searching tool, therefore it became unpopular this day. I personally don’t really use Sherlock because I don’t really find it useful for me and I almost forgot about this program on my Mac.

I also do not know Sherlock no longer exist on Mac OSX 10.5 system until I heard from my classmate. I did not read or heard any news from Mac or anywhere on internet it mention Sherlock is no more, but I do know my Mac OSX 10.4 have a similar program call Spotlight, which I don’t really use it as well. I guess both of them are quite similar function.

Sherlock was introduced in early Mac OS 8 (if I am not wrong) as a tool for searching the contents of your computer as well as It helps you search for books, music, movies, electronics, news, look up email addresses, and shop on the Internet etc. You can also select channels to focus your Internet search too.

I have tried to use Sherlock to search ‘Movie Database’ see what the outcome is, and the results telling me Sherlock definitely can’t compare with Google because the results is huge different.


Reference
Allen, M., et al. (n.d.). Module 4: Using the infosphere: taking & organising. Curtin University of Technology. Retrieved August 10, 2009, from http://lms.curtin.edu.au/webapps/blackboard/content/listContent.jsp?course_id=_18825_1&content_id=_985243_1

Real Player 11. (n.d.). Retrieved August 10, 2009, from http://www.real.com.au/mac/?lang=en&loc=au

No comments:

Post a Comment