Saturday, August 15, 2009

Module 4 – Boolean searching task

Boolean searching task

Taking the same key words of your last search, think about how you would best search for the following:
· the biggest number of hits relating to these key words
· information most relevant to what you ACTUALLY wanted to look for!
· information coming only from university sources

LOG ENTRY:
Discuss your strategies with the class and record the exact search terms you used in your learning log. (Allen et al. n.d.)


I heard and I have tried to use “OR” and “AND” to search some keyword on Internet before, but I never heard of “NOT”. After study Boolean’s “Boolean Searching on the Internet”, I try to include “NOT” into my “Movie Database” searching from Google and Yahoo and the result are not much different.

The hits result for Google search are:






The hits result for Yahoo search are:




Actually I was expected there will be quite different in between the search of “OR”, “AND” and “NOT” for the “Movie database”. Unfortunately the result returns quite the same from Google and Yahoo. The search from Yahoo is much more then Google. The biggest hits from Google are 132,000,000 and 233,000,000 for Yahoo.

I guess “Movie database” is quite limited on internet, therefore the results are consider similar and no big different. The result I got back from Google and Yahoo are the same, the majority are from “The Internet Movie Database (IMDb)” I guess non of the movie database is bigger than this web site, thus whoever are looking for movie data it will be direct to this web site. I have been try to search quite many movies from this site and it actually have all of them, so I believe this will be the best choice of searching movies from the old to latest movies.


Reference
Allen, M., et al. (n.d.). Module 4: Using the infosphere: taking & organising. Curtin University of Technology. Retrieved August 10, 2009, from
http://lms.curtin.edu.au/webapps/blackboard/content/listContent.jsp?course_id=_18825_1&content_id=_985243_1

No comments:

Post a Comment